Moving Back Into the Home After Mold Removal
March 25, 2011 by webmaster
Natural disasters including floods can make our home unsafe due to extensive flood damage and mold removal. It is important to clean all the affected areas of the house thoroughly to make the place safe from any potential health hazards. We must exercise caution when moving back to our home after flood damage to avoid any accident or mishap. The following guidelines can help you in ensuring your safety and well-being before you return to your home following a natural disaster like flood.
- Steer the place clear of all debris and damp mud as early as possible while keeping your safety on top of the agenda.
- It is preferable to hose down all the walls, floors, household items including furniture, and other flood affected items that may have accumulated with contaminated water and debris. A wet-and-dry vacuum comes in as a handy tool for this process. Using a detergent solution with hot foamy water can help in scrubbing the items and the affected areas until clear from all debris. For uneven or rough surfaces, try cleaning with the help of a cleaning pad and rinse with cold water several times.
- Always wear protective clothes and rubber gloves when undertaking the process of cleaning following a flood damage to ensure your safety.
- Inspect all the possible corners, drawers and other dark places for detecting the possibility of moldy document restoration and mildew restoration as they find a quick and convenient home in places which are damp or wet with excessive moisture and high humidity levels.
- When you detect mold, always use caution before proceeding to remove these contaminants away from your home. Always wear a face mask or respirator and first check cleaning a small patch of mold. If you suffer from any respiratory problems, then it is best to hire the services of a professional for this job.
- To remove mold and mildew completely from your home especially after flood damage, it is quintessential to get to the source of the mold. Maximize the air circulation of the house by opening all the doors and windows of the place. Cross ventilation will help in reducing moisture and humidity of the house. Use fans and dehumidifiers to control the excessive dampness in the area. Only then can you make your home seal proof from mold and fungus.
- Don’t forget to disinfect the entire place affected by mold and make the area clean to prevent mold from returning back to the place.
- If your household articles like soft toys, pillows or mattresses have become damaged extensively as a result of remaining in dirty flood water, then you should immediately discard and dispose them away at a safe place away from your home to avoid any health problems at a later stage.
- It is best to discard away a carpet which has become affected with excessive mold growth as cleaning or drying will not remove mold from the carpet.
- After you are done with the damaged material in your home, next thing is to disinfect your home using a good disinfectant, most preferably with a solution of one and a half cup of household bleach added to one gallon of water.
- An important thing to be kept in mind after flood damage is to keep the area clean and well-ventilated to make the return to your house safe for yourself and your family.
- Flood damage can make you stressed and tense. But following these useful tips can help you to recover from flood damage and make your house free from all the potential dangers.
About the Author